ISO 50001 is an energy management standard that helps businesses establish and implement energy management systems (EnMS) to help manage and reduce energy use and costs within the business.
A recognised UK standard based on the ISO model system of continual improvement guides businesses in improving their quality and environmental management. ISO 50001 can help any size of business to become more resilient, reduce costs, meet legislation requirements and increase sustainability.
What is ISO 50001?
ISO 50001 is the international standard for Energy Management systems, helping businesses and organisations incorporate processes and procedures to manage energy, thereby improving quality and environmental management overall.
It provides a framework to:
- Develop a policy designed to use energy more efficiently.
- Set objectives and targets that will meet that policy.
- Use their data to better understand their energy usage, and make more informed decisions.
- Measure and analyse the results of their work.
- Review how the policy is working on a regular basis.
- Continually improve their energy management.
As with other ISO certifications, like 9001, 27001 and 45001, companies and organisations do not have to achieve ISO 50001 certification. However, in doing so, they are not only adapting to manage their energy performance more efficiently, but they are also demonstrating to suppliers, third parties and customers their dedication and commitment to becoming a more sustainable business.
We have no hidden payments; what you see is what you pay.
We can offer ongoing support to ensure you are always well prepared
We can attend your audits and act as your management representative.
We help create procedures, policies & associated documentation as required
History of ISO 50001
Following the United Nations Industrial Development Organisation’s (UNIDO) call for a global response to climate change in 2007, ISO was asked to develop an international energy management standard.
Forming a committee led by ISO members, including ABNT (Brazil), SAC (China) and the BSI Group (UK), and with help from the Department of Energy (DoE) as well as US CEEM, ISO 50001:2011 Energy Management Systems-Requirements with Guidance was published in June 2011.
ISO published a revised and updated version of ISO 50001 in 2018 with the aim to encourage more small and medium-sized businesses and organisations to adopt the standard. ISO 50001:2018 also allowed the integration of several management standards together, such as ISO 14001 and ISO 9001, on which ISO 50001 is modelled.
ISO 50001 Requirements
To achieve ISO 50001 certification, businesses and organisations will need to implement the recommended framework, including the development and maintaining of various procedures and processes. This includes implementing energy management processes that are based around five areas:
- Compliance – understanding the legal requirements when creating, implementing and maintaining ISO 50001 systems; complying with relevant legal obligations; communicating legal aspects to employees and other interested parties, like suppliers.
- Cost – identifying what energy you are using where, and how it is being used; highlighting if, and where, energy is being wasted; implementing effective operational controls to be manage energy usage within the business/organisation.
- Perception – demonstrating to third parties, suppliers, customers and other stakeholders that your business/organisation is credible and ethical through an internationally-recognised standard.
- Reputation – demonstrates your business/organisation is reducing its environmental impact; reassures all stakeholders that you have implemented best practice systems and procedures; allows you to continuously improve sustainable development.
- Risk management – reduces business/organisation’s reliance on fossil fuel-based energy sources, which are subject to availability and price fluctuations.
Request information about our ISO Certification Services
Please fill in the details below along with your message, and we’ll be in touch with you very soon.
Benefits of having ISO 50001 certification
ISO 50001:2018 has a greater focus on the continual improvement of energy performance within the business/organisation, and involves employees and leadership on a bigger scale, to reduce the overall environmental impact and be more competitive.
The benefits of ISO 50001 certification are:
- A significant reduction in energy costs – better energy management results in reduced energy consumption. By monitoring energy usage and identifying where energy is being wasted, businesses/organisations are able to improve their energy efficiency and save money.
- Continual energy efficiency – monitoring energy performance and marking it against industry benchmarks, businesses/organisations can identify where improvements can be made to keep running at optimal energy efficiency.
- Brand reputation – achieving ISO 50001 certification demonstrates to all stakeholders the business/organisation’s commitment to becoming environmentally responsible, thereby improving brand reputation.
- Compliance – ensuring the business/organisation consistently complies with relevant industry energy legislation and well as with the Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS), a mandatory energy assessment scheme for UK businesses/organisations that meet ISO 50001 qualification criteria.
ISO 50001 Services
At JR Consultants, we work with our clients providing clear, reliable and accurate guidance throughout the process. We are always on hand to help navigate the minefields of paperwork and complicated information, implement the systems needed as well as drive and support the improvements required to meet the standards.
As the experts, it is our job to provide our clients with an invaluable service that allows you to spend your time focusing on what is important – your business. Our team of consultants are passionate about helping your business to achieve the recognition it deserves, and open up a world of opportunities with a clear, straightforward and cost effective path to ISO 50001 certification.
Our consultancy services will help you to:
- Plan, document, implement and operate a simple energy management system that meets all the requirements of ISO 50001.
- Design the system around your existing business practices wherever possible and, if necessary, help you to identify and resolve issues where you do not conform to the ISO 50001 certification standard.
- Once the system has been implemented, we will arrange for your system to be fully audited by one of our auditors before recommending you for your ISO 50001 assessment by an external UKAS accredited assessment body.
For more information on how your business can achieve ISO 50001 certification, please contact us.
Request Call Back.
If you need to speak to us about a general query fill in the form below and we will be in touch as soon as possible.