Originally established and published in 2001, the BRC Global Standard for Packaging and Packaging Materials was designed to protect consumers by providing a common base or benchmark of quality that companies and packaging suppliers for the food industry could certify to.
The standard has been regularly updated since its release, the last of which occurred in August 2019 when Issue 5 was replaced by Issue 6 which reflects the latest product safety protocols and includes fundamental changes in the protocol and requirements.
At JR Consultants our team of experts deliver reliable and cost-effective consultancy services to help your business achieve the accreditation it deserves with a straight forward path to certification.
We have no hidden payments; what you see is what you pay.
We can offer ongoing support to ensure you are always well prepared
We can attend your audits and act as your management representative.
We help create procedures, policies & associated documentation as required
What is the BRC Global Standard for Packaging Issue 6?
For all food and drinks brands, packaging plays a critical role in the safety, integrity and security of their products, making them an integral part of the food supply chain.
The BRC Global Standard for Packaging was designed to help better protect consumers by instilling a benchmark of quality that food packaging suppliers could certify to by complying with the requirements of the standard.
This standard is recognised and used worldwide by manufacturers of various packaging types to help them establish better quality controls, meet the expectations of their customers and maintain legal compliance.
Requirements of the Standard
This standard is based on 7 principles and its primary content focuses on process controls and production guidance with an emphasis on the food safety, quality and product legality.
Here are some examples of the requirements and criteria which need to be meet to achieve the BRC Standard:
- Analyse potential hazards and implement HACCP controls to produce a clear food safety strategy.
- Create an internal review system that works to ensure that standards are adhered to and working effectively.
- Whilst implementing the standard, develop a procedure for investigation, analysis and remedial work relating to the legality and quality of food safety.
- Traceability and transparency of all raw supplies, production, and distribution.
- Avoid product contamination and verify legality of the company through established hygiene standards of the workplace and strict controls of premises and equipment.
- Put in place procedures to ensure the timely handling of any allergen-containing items so that their quality, safety and legality are not compromised.
- Establish processes and procedures for checking performance of equipment and the various product development phases.
- Create a system that demonstrates how workers can impact product safety and legality based on their experience and qualifications.
Dedicate enough resources and communication as well as review and action to the process to increase the quality of products.
Request information about our ISO Certification Services
Please fill in the details below along with your message, and we’ll be in touch with you very soon.
Benefits of Certifying to the BRC Food Packaging Standard
There are a number of advantages for companies, businesses and organisations that take the necessary steps to achieve BRC packaging materials issue 6 certification. Here are some of the many potential benefits for your business;
- Demonstrates your commitment to the safety and quality of your food packaging
- Increases credibility and improves brand image and reputation
- Globally recognised standard
- Reduces food packaging safety risks and potential liabilities
- Provides access to new markets and tendering opportunities that were previously out of reach
- Increases confidence for both food manufacturers and consumers
- Achieve regulatory compliance
- Reduced costs of failure
Professional BRC Consultancy Services
Our team of experienced, knowledgeable and reliable BRC packaging materials issue 6 consultants have years of experience helping our customers to achieve their business goals with our unrivalled service.
If you have would like to know more about this standard or how it can help your business, then please get in touch and one of our advisors will be happy to help.
Request Call Back.
If you need to speak to us about a general query fill in the form below and we will be in touch as soon as possible.