A Guide to Achieving ISO 45001 Certification
ISO 45001 is the internationally recognised ISO standard for the implementation of an Occupational Health & Safety (OH&S) Management System. Introduced in March 2018, it was developed to replace OHSAS 18001.
There are several principal differences between OHSAS 18001 and ISO 45001, including:
- The former focused on managing occupational health and safety hazards, while the latter is aimed at how a company interacts with its business environment.
- ISO 45001 is more process-based in comparison to procedure-based.
- ISO 45001 combines a focus on risk and on opportunities.
This ISO standard is designed to provide businesses with the framework to help them proactively identify and resolve any potential risks within the workplace. It also guides them in setting up procedural best practices to ensure the prevention of work-related illness, accidents and injuries. Achieving ISO 45001 certification provides a safer workplace for all and makes sure the company is able to meet their health and safety obligations.
What does ISO 45001 certification require?
ISO 45001 certification means companies must achieve certain standards and implement a series of processes, practices and systems, guided by the suggested ISO standard framework. The standard is based on the principles of ‘Plan-Do-Act-Check’, which is known as the PDAC cycle. This system ensures the business follows the continuous evaluation and improvement of their processes and procedures.
Whilst it isn’t compulsory for businesses to have achieved ISO 45001 certification in the UK, or any other ISO management standards, there are a number of internationally recognised benefits.
Benefits of ISO 45001 certification?
Certification will help the company improve their occupational health and safety within the workplace, implement a world class management system, as well as demonstrate compliance with UK and global health and safety workplace standards. The benefits include:
- A safer working environment for all employees.
- A commitment to health and safety, enhancing a company’s reputation to customers, staff, stakeholders and new business.
- The potential to enter new potential markets that were previously out of reach.
- Encourages all employees to actively participate in all health and safety matters.
- Reduces the level of employee absence, illness, turnover and work related health issues.
- Potentially lower insurance premiums, resulting in cost savings.
- Greater productivity in a more efficient, happier, safer workplace.
- Becoming a proactive company, rather than reactive, enabling the better handling of any issues.
- Fewer accidents, injuries, downtime and disruption due to improved overall safety.
- Encourages accountability and involvement of the management.
- Boosts stakeholder confidence.
Without doubt, implementing an ISO 45001 health and safety management system, an internationally recognised standard, brings many benefits to a business and provides a clear, secure pathway to success.
At JR Consultants, we work with our clients providing clear, reliable and accurate guidance throughout the process. We are on hand to help navigate the minefields of paperwork and complicated information, implement the systems needed as well as drive and support the improvements required to meet the ISO standards.
Our team of professional ISO 45001 consultants are passionate about helping your business to achieve the recognition it deserves, and open up a world of opportunities with a clear, straightforward and cost effective path to ISO 45001 certification.
Request Call Back.
If you need to speak to us about a general query fill in the form below and we will call you back within the same working day.