The hygiene and safety of food products is important throughout the production process but does not end there, it also applies to the way and materials that it is stored, packaged and distributed in.
Here we discuss BRC Packaging Materials Issue 6, what it is and how certification to this standard can benefit packaging manufacturers.
What is the BRC Global Standard for Packaging Issue 6?
Originally developed and published in 2001, the BRC Global Standard for Packaging and Packaging Materials was the first packaging standard to be recognised by the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI). It was designed to help protect consumers by providing a benchmark of quality which companies that supply packaging to food producers could certify to.
Since its release, it has been regularly updated to reflect the latest product safety protocols and is now used worldwide by producers of various packaging applications throughout all levels of the supply chain.
This standard provides a robust framework which all types of packaging manufacturers can utilise to help assist the production of safe packaging and materials by helping them to manage product quality, meet customer requirements and maintain legal compliance.
Features of BRCGS Issues 6
The BRCGS Global Standard for Packaging materials helps packaging manufacturers and organisations to ensure that the products they provide support the delivery of safe and hygienic food.
Some of the key features integral to this standard include;
- A hazard and risk analysis approach to packaging controls
- Improved recognition of the packaging industries diversity and customer demands
- Ensuring consistency of the audit process
- Reducing the audit burden by meeting the needs of brand owners and retailers
- Fostering an environment of traceability and transparency throughout the supply chain
- Corrective and preventative actions to address issues and prevent reoccurrence
What Types of Businesses is this Standard Applicable For?
BRCGS Global Standard for Packaging Materials can be applied to any company or organisation within the packaging industry, no matter what sector they cater to, however, the standard does mainly deal with packaging companies within the food and drinks industry.
Because the food and drink industry have certain, detailed specifications when it comes to permissible materials and the techniques used, this standard is best applied and recognised by the global food and drink industry. BRCGS Global Standard for Packaging Materials Issue 6 consists of numerous, minute specifications which need to be implemented in phases during an articulate process that requires time and effort.
Benefits of Certification to the Standard
There are many advantages to be gained for organisations who achieve certification, including;
- Increased credibility and improved brand image
- Globally recognised standard
- Access to new markets previously out of reach
- Demonstrates your commitment to food safety standards
- Increased tendering opportunities
- An achievable and cost-effective way to improve the business
- Instils confidence in the brand
- Encourages development of a product safety culture
- Supply chain assurance for your customers
- Demonstrates regulatory compliance
If certification to this standard is something that you are interested in the please do not hesitate to get in touch and the experts at JR Consultants will be happy to help. Our team of specialists can deliver professional, reliable and effective solutions to help your company meet its certification goals.
Request Call Back.
If you need to speak to us about a general query fill in the form below and we will call you back within the same working day.