ISO 50001 is a relatively new ISO standard, first published in June 2011 and later, in 2018, a revised version was issued. It was developed as an energy management standard that is internationally recognised, to help businesses and organisations to establish and implement an effective energy management system (EnMS).
The standard provides a framework that helps build the energy management system which, ultimately, manages and reduces a business/organisation’s energy use, and thereby costs. Through continual monitoring and improvement, the business/organisation will not only ensure better quality and environmental management, but also ensuring they become more resilient, able to meet relevant legal and legislation requirements, and increase their sustainability.
What does ISO 50001 certification require?
The ISO 50001 energy management recommended framework provides businesses and organisations with a guide on how to incorporate the necessary processes and procedures to manage their energy usage. It helps them to:
- Develop a policy that is designed to use their energy more efficiently.
- Set objectives and targets that will meet their energy policy.
- Use their data to better understand their energy usage, and make more informed decisions.
- Measure and analyse the results of their work.
- Review how their energy policy is working on a regular basis.
- Continually improve their overall energy management.
The energy management framework and processes are based around five areas:
- Compliance – understanding the legal requirements when creating, implementing and maintaining ISO 50001 systems; complying with relevant legal obligations and communicating these to employees and other stakeholders.
- Cost – identifying what energy is being used and where, how it is being used; highlighting if, and where, energy is being wasted; implementing effective operational controls to be manage energy usage within the business/organisation.
- Perception – demonstrating to all stakeholders that the business/organisation is credible and ethical through an internationally-recognised standard.
- Reputation – demonstrates the business/organisation is reducing its environmental impact; reassures all stakeholders that best practice systems and procedures are implemented; allows continual sustainable development.
- Risk management – reduces the business/organisation’s reliance on fossil fuel-based energy sources, which are subject to availability and price fluctuations.
By adopting this framework, businesses and organisations will be able to manage their energy more efficiently. At the same time, they are demonstrating to stakeholders they are committed to becoming a more sustainable business.
Why ISO 50001 certification?
As well as improving the business/organisation’s energy usage, there are a number of benefits to achieving ISO 50001 certification, including:
- A significant reduction in energy costs – better energy management results in reduced energy consumption. By monitoring energy usage and identifying where energy is being wasted, businesses/organisations are able to improve their energy efficiency and save money.
- Continual energy efficiency – monitoring energy performance and marking it against industry benchmarks, businesses/organisations can identify where improvements can be made to keep running at optimal energy efficiency.
- Brand reputation – achieving ISO 50001 certification demonstrates to all stakeholders the business/organisation’s commitment to becoming environmentally responsible, thereby improving brand reputation.
- Compliance – ensuring the business/organisation consistently complies with relevant industry energy legislation and well as with the Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS), a mandatory energy assessment scheme for UK businesses/organisations that meet ISO 50001 qualification criteria.
As with all other ISO standards, it is not mandatory for businesses and organisations to aim for ISO accreditation. However, in doing so, they are building a business/organisation that is more resilient, more able to adapt to critical issues and become more sustainable and environmentally friendly.
At JR Consultants, we work with our clients providing clear, reliable and accurate guidance throughout the process. We are on hand to help navigate the minefields of paperwork and complicated information, implement the systems needed as well as drive and support the improvements required to meet the ISO standards.
Our team of consultants are passionate about helping your business to achieve the recognition it deserves, and open up a world of opportunities with a clear, straightforward and cost effective path to ISO 50001 certification.
Request Call Back.
If you need to speak to us about a general query fill in the form below and we will call you back within the same working day.