The FSC is an international organisation that promotes responsible stewardship of the world’s forests. Its trademark provides international recognition to organisers who support the growth of responsible forest management worldwide, and its product label allows consumers to recognise products that support the growth of forest management worldwide.
Over the past 13 years, over 90 million hectares in more than 70 countries have been certified according to FSC standards while several thousand products are produced using FSC certified wood and carrying the FSC trademark.
Who is FSC?
The Forest Stewardship Council is an independent, non-profit, non-governmental organisation which was founded in 1993, as a result of the Environment and Development Conference in Rio de Janeiro. The objective of creating the FSC is to highlight the conservation of forests through management forms to help present and future generations.
What is forest certification?
As a forest manager or owner, the FSC certification is a way of ensuring that your careful and long-term forest management services are recognised. The forest stewardship council certification is voluntary, and the process will involve an audit of the current forest management by an independent organisation.
What are the Benefits of FSC Certification?
- Acquire market recognition for responsible forest management.
- Opportunities for interaction and cooperation between the players involved in forest management – forest owners, social and environmental organisations – to solve the problems that forests face
- The assurance for future generations that they will enjoy the benefits of our forests.
- The knowledge that areas of natural wealth and endangered wildlife are being looked after
- The opportunity to use the Forest Stewardship Council trademark on products to demonstrate that they come from legal and well managed sources.
- The possibility of new markets for products produced as Forest Stewardship Council.
- The ability to benefit from local, national or international government support for responsible forest management
What are the costs?
The costs will vary a lot, depending on the size and complexity of the woodland. It is difficult to generalise, so we would recommend contacting the certification bodies to get an estimate for the woodland you would like to submit for certification. Costs can be reduced if several forests are being assessed together in a small group scheme, whereas larger forests can cost more because of the size of the assessment required.
FSC Certification from JR Consultants
As with all our work in gaining certification for clients, we will help you design, document, implement and operate a simple and practical system to meet the requirements of the FSC.
We will design the system to operate within your present business practices wherever possible, and if necessary, help you identify the areas of your business that do not conform to FSC requirements, before recommending you for your external audit by an FSC accredited certification body.
Contact us today to find out how we can help you successfully prepare for the FSC forest management certificate.